APPLE VALLEY MODEL RR CLUB
The Apple Valley Model Railroad Club is one of the Top Tourist destinations in Western North Carolina. Our HO layout is located inside the Historic 1902 Hendersonville, N.C. Railroad Depot. It occupies an area of 22’x100’ and has a Western North Carolina setting. Our main yard is Asheville, N.C. where mainline trains run south to Spartanburg, S.C. and east to Spencer, N.C. At Hickory, N.C., the Carolina and Northwestern railroad departs to an upper level through Lenoir and Mortimer and joins with the W.M. Ritter logging railroad at Edgemont. Our G Scale All-Weather Layout is located outside behind the Depot.
We use a Digital Command Control (DCC) radio system to control the railroads. The tall mountainous scenery has view blocks that makes it necessary for operators to actually walk around and follow their trains as they progress thru the layout. Track signals are installed to help members safely operate their trains.
The scenery is complete but the railroad still requires added details to enhance the overall effect. Visitors can expect to see a wide variety of locomotives and rolling stock as the club has a large collection of equipment. Members also bring their own equipment to run as well.
There are many aspects of model railroading that involve operation of the railroad and the model trains in a manner that very nearly replicates prototype operations. Many model railroaders today, including some of our members, are particularly interested in this aspect of the hobby. Once a month we conduct prototypical operating sessions.
The Club has a number of exciting projects in process or just completed:
1) We are working on new and additional lighting that will provide realistic daylight transitions both in the lighting and on the layout. Expected completion is September 2021
2) Our historic Southern Rwy caboose is getting a brand new paint job with correct prototype lettering. Expected completion is mid-September 2021. It remains open to the public.
3) We now have a Camera Car working again to display live video on a TV monitor as the car/engine travel the layout. It operates most days we are open. We also have a camera car in our outdoor layout using a caboose-mounted internal drone camera.
4) We have a Telegraph Challenge system to let visitors learn about, practice and test their skills on a telegraph key using a nearly hundred year old key and sounder. So simple a child can use it (pre-teens need a member present).
5) We now have a small lighted caboose display showing the comparative sizes of scales including G, O, S, HO, N and Z. One of our donation boxes now has home-built electronics to play steam engine sounds and than the donor when donations are dropped in the box.
The Apple Valley Model Railroad Club would be pleased to accept any donations of scale model railroad equipment as well as historic railroad items. This equipment would be evaluated and used by the Club or for our museum, sold to members, or sold on eBay or at local Model Railroad shows, with the money collected going toward the maintenance and support of the Apple Valley Model Railroad Layout and maintenance of selected items for the depot.
Note we are not a 501.c3. We are a Not-for-Profit Club, therefore we are not able to give a estimated cost receipt for items donated to the Club nor are donations tax-deductible.
We thank you in advance for your contributions.
Apple Valley Model Railroad Club
650 Maple St, Hendersonville, NC 28792
Copyright © 2021 Apple Valley Model Railroad Club - All Rights Reserved.
Last Updated Sep 3, 2021